What to Expect as a Correctional Care Nurse and How to Avoid Burnout in Challenging Settings
Understanding the Correctional System Population
What Is the Role of a Correctional Nurse?
Health Care in Correctional Facilities
How Does Working in Correctional Health Care Differ from Traditional Settings?
- Ask questions to gauge a patient’s fears, concerns and general thoughts about their health issues.
- Take time to appreciate a patient’s perspective.
- Follow through with what you say you can do for a patient.
The Silent Danger of Working in Corrections: Employee Burnout
Signs and Symptoms of Corrections Fatigue
- Difficulty relaxing as a result of the need for constant vigilance
- An increase in consumption of alcohol or other substances
- Prolonged irritability
- Persistent anxiety
- Sleep problems